Wednesday, July 01, 2009

The King.

So it took Michael Jackson's passing to make me come back and write out my inane train of thought.

I never thought a celebrity death would affect me so much and for so long. Often when you hear of a passing of a celebrity, you think about the tragic circumstances surrounding such a passing and you move on. But with Michael, I just keep thinking about his career and contribution to my childhood.

I didn't watch Michael grow up. He just existed when I was a kid. He was already a star whose records we'd play at family parties. Thriller came out the year I was born and well, that was it. Michael was just part of life as a kid in Queens. I really didn't become aware of exactly who he was and what he did until the Dangerous album.

Black or White and Remember The Time were television events. The newest MJ video was just something you needed to watch and talk about at school the next day. So it's no surprise that he was such a lasting influence on every pop/R&B act of my generation. When someone breaks into the business, you aim to have the career that Michael had. You aim to create the types of videos he had. You aim to have the endorsements and influence he had. You aim

When you think about it...he really influenced how we viewed music, race, culture and art.

When he met Quincy Jones, his music crossed genres and racial barriers. When he created the video for Thriller, he broke the barrier at MTV and changed the video artform. It just goes on and on.

MTV hadn't played any videos from black artists until Michael...from there he became an icon.

Thriller's singles are still the soundtrack to almost every party I go to.

Every dancer has tried his moves by watching his videos repeatedly.

He influenced every pop act of my generation and if it wasn't for him, none of them would have the types of careers they have. His career was the kind of career they aim to have. MJ is the bar.

Gone too soon.




No comments: